History of Craigard House
The house was first built as part of a farm in the 1840's and occupied by the Rhodes family at about that time, they were carpenters on the Caledonian canal with Thomas Telford, thankfully it has retained many original features. Originally from Bradford, James Rhodes, was appointed Canal Superintendent at Invergarry. The only remaining part of the farm, is the old cowshed, attached to the side of the house.

In the 1860's the house was was incorporated into the Glengarry estate. At this time it became the Factor's house and office. The Factor, George Malcolm, lived here for over 30yrs, he was viewed with a great deal of respect within the community. The house stayed within the estate until the 1940's when it was sold to the government department developing the hydro schemes in the glen and surrounding area. It then became the Engineers offices. It became a guest house in the late 1960's.

The lounge and dining room still have their original wooden shutters and in the lounge the Edwardian owners, husband and wife have initialled one of the window panes!


Craigard Front

Tiles

Craigard, details

Craigard Lounge

Craigard Guest House, Invergarry, Inverness-shire, PH35 4HG
Telephone: +44 (0)1809 501 258 Email: andrew@craigardhouse.co.uk